Toenail fungus can be an unsightly condition that leads to discomfort and embarrassment. People that suffer from an infection may no longer feel comfortable due to the discoloration that accompanies the growth. Diagnosing the problem early allows individuals to treat the fungus more effectively. The infection can be treated in its early stages fairly easily.
Following are the symtoms of toenail fungus:-
- Discoloration in the nails is not always necessarily due to fungus. However, discoloration of the nail accompanied by a growing thickness of the nail itself is a good indication that some unwanted growth is occurring. You can get more information about healthy toenail renewal online through various websites.
- As the condition worsens, the nail will dry out and multiple layers of dead tissue will accumulate beneath the nail surface. Fungi that is left untreated can cause serious damage to the nail.
- It can lead to a complete loss of the toenail and cause the infection to spread to the other toes.
Below are the most commonly prescribed medicines:
- Oral medications: the most effective of these have proven to be either terbinafine or itraconazole.
- Anti-fungal lacquers: this is a nail polish applied once a day. The active ingredient is ciclopirox.
- Laser Surgery: this option removes the nail itself so that a new one can grow in its place. Surgery is reserved for extreme cases.
- Photodynamic Therapy: this treatment uses light to irradiate the nail after being treated with an acid solution. This treatment is not always available, though highly effective.
Categories: Health and Fitness